A Few Things We Are Proud Of
The harder you work for something the greater you feel when you achieve it. It’s extra special when someone else acknowledges those achievements. Here are a few things we have been lucky enough to be recognized for accomplishing over the last few years.
American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC)
ECS has been recognized with 11 awards from ACEC of North Carolina. Each year the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) of North Carolina selects the top project from the engineering firms to go forward to the national ACEC's annual Engineering Excellence Awards competition. Since 1967, U.S. engineering firms have entered their most innovative projects and studies in ACEC's annual Engineering Excellence Awards program (EEA)—'the Academy Awards of the engineering industry'— honoring the year's most outstanding engineering accomplishments.
- 2018 Honor Award - FedEx Ground Distribution Facility, Durham, NC
- 2018 People's Choice Award, chosen by fellow ACEC award winners - FedEx Ground Distribution Facility, Durham, NC
- 2018 Honor Award - I-85/385 Woodruff Road Underpinning, Greenville, SC
- 2017 Honor Award, Science Drive Parking Deck at Duke University, Durham, NC
- 2017 People’s Choice Award, chosen by fellow ACEC award winners - Science Drive Parking Deck at Duke University, Durham, NC
- 2016 Engineering Excellence Award, Craven Street Multi-Modal Improvements, Asheville, NC
- 2013 Merit Awards for their work on Department of Homeland Security – U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters, Washington, DC
- 2013 ACEC Virginia Engineering Excellence Merit Awards for their work on National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, New Campus East, Ft. Belvoir, VA
- 2012 Special Projects Award for “MEGASHAFTS in the Pee Dee Formation"
Engineering News Record (ENR)
Currently ranked #75 in ENR's listing of Top 500 Design firms (April 2018) ECS continues to be recognized by industry peers for innovation and excellence. We are honored to be celebrated for this achievement. Read more here.
Currently ranked #163 on ENR's 2018 Top 200 Environmental Firms list. Congratulations to everyone on the list and thank you to all employees for helping us get there! Check out more here.
ECS is ranked number 28 in the Zweig Group's 2018 Hot Firm List, a list of the fastest growing firms in the A/E/P and environmental consulting industry. This achievement demonstrates success, the ability to thrive and recognizes ECS among the elite 100 fastest-growing firms.
ECS Mid-Atlantic Honored as ENR Mid-Atlantic 2018 Design Firm of the Year
The Design Firm of the Year demonstrates success in the region from a growth and revenue standpoint as well as innovation, creativity and a commitment to giving back to its community. Read more here.
ECS on Winning Team for ENR Mid-Atlantic's 2017 Best Projects Awards
Submitted by ECS, the MGM National Harbor Resort project in Oxon Hill, MD won the Award of Merit for the Sports/Entertainment category in the ENR Regional Best Projects 2017 Awards. More than 60 projects located throughout the Mid-Atlantic region were reviewed and judged on overcoming challenges and teamwork, safety, innovation, construction quality, and function and aesthetic quality of the design. Click here for more.
Additionally, of 29 projects entered for the safety award division, the project won the Excellence in Safety Award of Merit. Read more here.
Design-Build Institute of America
The Design-Build Institute of America recently announced their 2013 annual Design-Build Awards Competition winners. Congratulations to the entire team that helped make BRAC 133/WHS a successful project for ECS, Clark, and the Department of Defense and the award winner in the Office/Renovation category.
Greater Richmond Association for Commercial Real Estate (GRACRE)
Honoring the most outstanding examples of design and implementation in the Richmond commercial real estate market during 2012, the Greater Richmond Association for Commercial Real Estate (GRACRE) selected 14 local commercial real estate projects and transactions as part of its 12th Annual Commercial Real Estate Awards, held in Richmond at the Country Club of Virginia on Tuesday, April 16. ECS Mid-Atlantic, LLC was honored for their participation in two of the 14 winning projects.
The Project of the Year was the Amazon.com Fulfillment Centers (two locations). ECS provided value engineering of the original geotechnical report and then assumed the role of Geotechnical Engineer-of-Record for the Chesterfield location. ECS provided alternate foundation recommendations to reduce project costs, and provided recommendations for lime and cement soil stabilization. These recommendations allowed the contractor to meet critical project milestones and keep the project on schedule. During construction, ECS also provided construction materials testing, observations, and Special Inspections.
The Commonwealth Center for Advance Manufacturing (CCAM) was selected as Best Institutional Project. Located south of Richmond, CCAM is a research collaboration between the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, Virginia State University, Rolls-Royce North America, and various other high-technology companies. The 62,000-square-foot three-story state-of-the-art facility at the Rolls-Royce Crosspointe campus is the only collaboration of its kind in North America. ECS nominated this project and proudly accepted the award for the team at the awards ceremony. ECS provided construction materials testing, Special Inspections and geotechnical recommendations when the construction contractor encountered poor soil conditions.
Organizations nominated projects and transactions by submitting entries consisting of a detailed project narrative with photo documentation, a list of contractors and consultants and other project information. Finalists were selected from the pool of nominees, and the award winners were selected from among the finalists. Congratulations to the ECS team!
Construction Professionals Network (CPN)
The Star Award honors chosen projects that are the most outstanding new construction projects in the State of North Carolina that is selected on the merits and challenges of the project by an objective group of judges. Only three “Star Awards” are given annually. One for projects of total construction costs under $10 million, one for projects $10-$25 millions, and one for projects greater than $25 million of total construction costs.
CPN of North Carolina, Inc. is a statewide organization of business and professional leaders who are involved with design, construction and related services. CPN was created through the efforts of a few dedicated individuals engaged in construction law, construction management, design, construction, project development and finance and dispute resolution. Learn more: http://cpnofnc.org/index.php/. Learn more about STAR Awards http://cpnofnc.org/Star_Awards/. ECS was a part of the winning team for the following:
- 2018 Star Award - Projects Under $10 Million: Greensboro Science Center Wiseman Aquarium Expansion
- ECS provided geotechnical engineering, construction materials testing and Special Inspections. Sun Breza, PE was the Principal Engineer for the project.
- 2017 Over $25MM: UNCG Leonard J. Kaplan Center for Wellness
- ECS provided geotechnical engineering and Special Inspections for the deep H-pile foundations up to 90' below grade. ECS also provided PDA analysis for pile capacity testing and vibration monitoring. Sun Breza was the Principal Engineer on the project and Alan Raulston was the Project Manager.
- 2017 $10MM - $25MM: Union Square
- ECS provided geotechnical engineering and Special Inspections. Dave Cutter (retired) was the Principal Engineer and Alan Raulston was the Project Manager.
- 2016 Over $25 Million: Department of Veteran Affairs Healthcare Center (VA Healthcare) - Fayetteville, NC
- Sun Breza and Brian Maas were the ECS CPN member participants
- 2018 BMA Carolinas ProAds Gold Award in Integrated Marketing for the recruitment campaign, GRIT
- 2018 BMA Carolinas ProAds Gold Award in Video Production for "A Day in the Life" recruitment & retention video series
- 2018 BMA Carolinas ProAds Bronze Award in Website Redesign
- 2016 BMA Carolinas Young Professional of the Year to Julie Smith of the ECS marketing team
- 2015 BMA Carolinas ProAds Silver Award in Digital Marketing for their quarterly internal newsletter, Wolftracks
- 2014 ZweigWhite Marketing Excellence Award, Internal Marketing - ECS was awarded 1st place in the category with their fierce, wolf-inspired, quarterly internal newsletter, Wolftracks
- 2013 BMA Carolinas ProAds Bronze Award for their quarterly internal newsletter, Wolftracks
- 2013 SMPS National Marketing Communications Award – 3rd place in Recruitment & Retention for their NCSU Posters